Geography - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
The WJEC GCE AS and A level in Geography encourages learners to apply geographical knowledge, theory and skills to the world around them. In turn this will enable learners to develop a critical understanding of the world’s people, places and environments in the 21st Century. Learners should be able to develop both knowledge and understanding of contemporary geographical concepts together with transferable skills that will enable them to progress to higher education and a range of employment opportunities.
The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study, in conjunction with other AS/A Level subjects, or possible with vocational Level 3 qualifications. Our staff will be happy to help you put together a programme most suited to your needs. The course can also be taken on a part-time basis by mature students.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Classroom learning
- Group discussions
- Source materials and case studies
- Fieldwork investigation or fieldwork theory.
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st language), at least a grade B in GCSE English or English Language or Welsh (1st language). Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level
- Students must have a strong interest in Geography and be willing to read around the subject.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed in the first year for the AS Level and in the 2nd year for the A Level.
- AS: 2 external examinations at the end of the 1st year (worth 40% of the total A Level); and
- A2: two external exams at the end of the 2nd year (worth 60% of the total A Level).
Whether you gain the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions. This includes degrees in Geography and related subjects, as well as many other options.
Geography is recognized as a preferred subject, or ‘Facilitating Subject’, by the Russell Group of universities. Therefore, the course is good preparation for a range of undergraduate courses, whilst the skills acquired can also benefit students seeking employment. The course provides numerous opportunities for you to develop and apply key skills, as well as developing your attitudes, perceptions and values in a subject with high relevance to everyday life.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.