Applied Science BTEC Level 3 National Diploma at St Vincent College
If you enjoy the practical side of science, this is the course for you. This two ‘AS’ or two ‘A’ level equivalent course focuses on the application of science in the world of work. More and more employers are looking for well-qualified people to work in the fields of science, technology and engineering. The applied sciences offer a wide variety of careers. Your BTEC will sharpen your skills for employment or further study. You will be assessed through portfolio work in class.
In Year One, the Subsidiary Diploma, you will need to successfully complete three Mandatory Units:
• Unit 1 – Fundamentals of Science
• Unit 2 – Working in the Science Industry
• Unit 4 – Scientific Practical Techniques and three Optional Units.
In Year Two, the National Diploma you will need to successfully complete three further Mandatory Units and three further Optional Units.
• Unit 3 – Scientific Investigation
• Unit 5 – Perceptions of Science
• Unit 6 – Using Mathematical Tools for Science
Optional units allow for Forensic Science pathways or Medical pathways and include areas such as:
• Physiology and Human Systems
• Forensic Evidence Collection and Analysis
• Genetics and Genetic Engineering
• Biochemistry and Biochemical Techniques
• Chemical Laboratory Techniques
• Microbiological Techniques
Five GCSEs at grade A* – C, including at least CC in Science or Applied Science or a Merit at OCR National or BTEC First. Mathematics and English at GCSE grade C
Assessment is by portfolio.
Subsidiary Diploma 1 year:
3 Mandatory (must do) Units, plus 3 Optional Units.
National Diploma 2 years:
6 Mandatory (must do) Units, plus 6 Optional Units.
Achievement will be based on Pass, Merit and Distinction for both the Subsidiary Diploma and the National Diploma.
• Higher Education for degree courses in science-related subjects, engineering and the manufacturing industry
• Careers in commerce, Civil Service, pharmaceuticals, energy industry, science and development and computing
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Vincent College directly.