Introduction to Vocational Studies Entry Level 3 at Wirral Metropolitan College
This course provides a basis for those wanting to engage in further education and explore vocational options whilst building their confidence, self esteem and interpersonal skills. It gives students a chance to develop their skills in career planning, job search and interview techniques, whilst exploring vocational options.
All of the skills are transferable to educational and training settings.
The programme aims to:
- Develop students' confidence and motivation
- Develop communication and teamwork skills
- Provide an introduction to vocational studies
- Enable students to gain knowledge and experience in vocational areas
- Develop essential career, social and personal development skills
- Assist students in their awareness of opportunities available in employment
- Raise awareness of progression opportunities
- Enable students to develop their English and Maths skills
The qualification offered is Open Awards Entry Level 3 Diploma in Skills for Further Learning and Employment. The Diploma, which is made up of 37 credits, is achieved by completing a wide range of units including:
- Personal action planning
- Career Preparation
- Preparing for Work Experience
- Employability Skills
- Group and Teamwork
- Communication Skills
- Health and Safety Awareness
Students will have the opportunity to attend a vocational option in up to three of the following areas:
- Health and Social Care
- Animal Care
- Business and Enterprise
- iDigital and Computing TechnologyArt and Design
- Travel Industry
Students will create a portfolio of evidence which will include projects, reports, presentations, assignments and workbooks. During the programme students will also work on their Maths, English and ICT skills, and have the opportunity to undertake Functional Skills qualifications at an appropriate level.
There are no formal entry guidelines for this course; however, you must be aged 16-18 at 31st August prior to your start date and you must be able to demonstrate your motivation at interview.
Before starting your course, you will take assessments in English and maths to make sure that you will be able to meet the requirements of the course. It is expected that your English and maths will be at Entry 2 Level
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
Students will create a portfolio of evidence which will include presentations, assignments and workbooks.
English and maths are assessed via externally set assessments taken under supervised conditions at entry level these are internally marked and at level 1 and above they are externally marked.
It is expected that once you have competed this qualification you will progress into a vocational area to further develop your skills and achieve additional qualifications.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.