French A Level at Coombeshead Academy
Students build on the skills acquired at GCSE, developing further their knowledge of
French grammar. They gain insight into another culture and society, at the same
time as enhancing employment prospects and facilitating foreign travel.
The subject content for AS includes:-
- Aspects of French-speaking society
- Current trends - the changing nature of family; the ‘cyber-society’
- The place of voluntary work
- Artistic culture in the French-speaking world
- A culture proud of its heritage
- Contemporary francophone music
- Cinema: the seventh art form
The subject content for A Level is as AS Level with the addition of:-
- Positive features of a diverse society
- Life for the marginalised. How criminals are treated
- Aspects of political life in the French-speaking world
- The right to vote and political commitment. Demonstrations
- Strikes – who holds the power?
Minimum grade B in French GCSE.
There will be a listening and reading and a writing paper, translation and an oral
exam at AS and similarly at A2 with a written paper on literature or a film.
Modern Foreign Languages are not just for those who wish to continue solely with
languages as a chosen career. At a time when more and more university courses
are combining several subjects, languages are excellent partners alongside, for
example, Law, Music, Engineering, History, to name but a few.
Modern Foreign Languages are highly regarded and respected by employers and
Higher Education institutions because of the wide range of career opportunities
open to Language graduates.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Coombeshead Academy directly.
Last updated date: 02 December 2015