Mathematics at Ysgol Uwchradd Aberteifi
The A Level course aims to encourage candidates to:
– develop their understanding of Mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and fosters enjoyment;
– develop abilities to reason logically and recognise incorrect reasoning, to generalise and to construct mathematical proofs;
– extend their range of mathematical skills and techniques and use them in more difficult, unstructured problems;
– develop an understanding of coherence and progression in Mathematics and of how different areas of Mathematics can be connected;
– recognise how a situation may be represented mathematically and understand the relationship between ‘real world’ problems and standard and other mathematical models and how these can be refined and improved;
– use Mathematics as an effective means of communication;
– read and comprehend mathematical arguments and articles concerning applications of Mathematics;
– acquire the skills needed to use technology such as calculators and computers effectively, recognise when such use may be inappropriate and be aware of limitations.
At AS Level candidates will study three modules of equal weighting. Candidates will take units C1, C2 and M1. For each module candidates will sit an examination that will last 1½ hours.
In addition to those modules studied at AS, at A Level candidates will follow modules C3, C4 and M2. Again, each module consists of an examination lasting 1½ hours.
From September 2014 all year 12 pupils choosing A level Maths will also follow the Further Maths AS course.
During year 12 pupils will study and be assessed on the S1 module. In addition, pupils will begin to study FP1, however this will not be assessed until the end of year 13. During year 13 the final Further Maths module to be studied will be either FP2 or M3 depending on pupils’ strengths.
In order to follow AS and A Level Mathematics candidates should have studied higher tier at GCSE and should have achieved at least a grade A.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Uwchradd Aberteifi directly.