Mathematics A Level at Pembroke School/ Ysgol Penfro
AS Course Content
· Pure Mathematics Topics will relate mainly to the algebra and graph work studied in GCSE: Algebra and functions, co-ordinate geometry in the (x,y plane), sequences and series, differentiation, integration, trigonometry, exponentials and logarithms.
· Statistics Topics will relate to the Handling Data work studied in GCSE : Mathematical models in probability and statistics, representation and summary of data, probability, correlation and regression, discreet random variables, discrete distributions, the Normal distribution.
A2 Course Content
· Pure Mathematics topics will develop further the ones studied in AS and again will rely heavily on algebraic skills.
· Mechanics will deal with more real-life problems and has also been called ‘Applied Maths’ in the past. Study will generally be of objects moving and in a state of rest and the forces causing such actions: Mathematical models in mechanics, vectors in mechanics, kinematics of a particle moving in a straight line, dynamics of a particle moving in a straight line or plane, statistics of a particle, moments.
· Changes to the specification as of September 2004 now make the AS Mathematics course accessible to students with a GCSE grade C or better. Students applying for the course will be interviewed in order to assess their best option for continuing their mathematical studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Pembroke School/ Ysgol Penfro directly.