Accessibility links

English Literature A2 at Ilkley Grammar School

Course description

To broaden and deepen the knowledge, skills and understanding developed in the AS.

Course content

Aims

  1. to develop informed, autonomous readers, with a clear focus on comparative study, which takes intoaccount social, cultural and historical factors
  2. to extend independent reading and confident evaluation
  3. to extend awareness of critical methods/viewpoints and alternative interpretations
Course Content

As with AS, the requirement is that all candidates must study 6 texts, covering all three genres. A2 is also divided into two units and, like AS, is assessed this time by a closed book examination and by coursework.

Typical authors could include: Chaucer, Milton, Marvell, Blake, Goldsmith, Waugh, Jennings, a range of critical texts/viewpoints.

Entry requirements

Pupils will be expected to have demonstrated a clear commitment at AS Level and to have achieved a satisfactory standard in order to progress further.

Assessment

As with AS, candidates will be assessed by a combination of coursework and a formal examination at the end of the year. The coursework contributes 60% of the A2 total, with the examination providing the remaining 40%.Throughout the year regular essays and weekly tasks will be set and students will receive regular feedback on their progress.

Future opportunities

This course is highly regarded and can lead to a variety of higher education and career opportunities including:Law, Medicine, English, Business, History, Teaching, Psychology, Management, Arts Administration, Journalism, Public Relations

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ilkley Grammar School directly.

Last updated date: 09 November 2017
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 year

Venues