Media Studies (AQA) at Stanford & Corringham Sixth Form Centre
Media Studies is a very important subject, ultimately combining aspects of Politics, Sociology, History, Art, English and Economics. It encourages creativity, teaches analytical skills and introduces students to critical ways of thinking about the world around them.
These talents are highly valued by universities and employers. Moreover, the subject equips students with the skills necessary to survive and thrive in a media saturated society.
Students will study and produce texts across a range of media platforms including but not limited to broadcasting, e-media, print, documentary, film fiction, sport and news. This study is coupled with theoretical analysis that covers areas such as semiotics, Marxism and Hegemony, genre theory and audience theory. The range of material covered on the course ensures that students gain an all-round appreciation and understanding of various aspects of the media.
A-level Media Studies is designed to encourage students to:
- enhance their enjoyment and appreciation of the media and its role in their daily lives
- develop critical understanding of the media through engagement with media products and concepts and through the creative application of practical skills
- explore production processes, technologies and other relevant contexts
- become independent in research skills and their application in their practical work and in developing their own views and interpretations.
- PLEASE NOTE: This course could run over the 3 schools. Details of where this course will run in September will be available at a later date.
As A Level qualifications are changing, Media Studies has become more linear so that the new syllabus consists of two examinations which comprise 70% of the A Level grade and a practical element that comprises the remaining 30%.
Students investigate the media in order to understand and evaluate how meanings and responses are created. The contemporary media landscape and its changing contexts are studied in terms of products, platforms and technologies:
- Paper 1: Written examination covering the topics of; Media Language, representation, industry and audience (70%)
- Paper 2: Written examination where questions will focus on the analysis of media products, through the lens of the theoretical framework. Students will be expected to refer to the Close Study Products (CSPs) provided by AQA and other products they have studied.
- Unit 2: A practical element leading to the creation of a media product (30%)
Media Studies and/or English grade 6.
£30.00 deposit to cover all text books to be paid on enrolment day. This will be refunded at the end of your course once your books have been returned to the subject teacher.
£5.00 non-refundable payment for an Access Key Fob to access Gable Hall School, Sixth Form and St Clere's School.
AS and A-level Media Studies gives students transferable skills for progression into higher education or careers routes such as advertising, Film and Television or marketing.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.