Biology AS level at Nower Hill High School
AS Biology is suitable if you:
- Have an interest in and enjoy Biology and want to find out about how things work in the biological world by application of imaginative, logical thinking.
- Want to use Biology to progress onto further studies in Higher Education, support other qualifications or enter biology-based employment
- Are taking A-Levels in the other sciences and / or mathematics or other relevant courses such as Physical Education and want to take another course that will support those studies.
The AS course consists of the following main topics.
- Biological Molecules
- Food and Health
- Exchange and Transport
- Biodiversity and Evolution.
Students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge and understanding, application of content, investigative, analytical, evaluative and numerical skills throughout the course. All written exams will be in May or June.
Students must achieve Grade B or above in Core, Additional and Further Additional Science OR GCSE Biology.
- Exams 100%.
- AS consists of 2 papers at the end of year 12.
Biology leads on to a wide range of courses and careers. This could include:
- An undergraduate degree in life sciences, medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, environmental science, forensic science and related courses.
- Employment, for example in the areas of biological testing, biotechnology, independent research, careers within the medical field and the food industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nower Hill High School directly.