Uniformed Public Services BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Portsmouth College
The Uniformed Public Services qualification is valued by the police and other emergency services, and by the armed forces. It is also well regarded by the universities, especially for Public Services and sport-related courses. The course develops many transferable skills, so progression to employment within the fitness or outdoor adventure industries is a good possibility. You will have the opportunity to achieve First Aid/COLA and outdoor based governing body qualifications. Please be aware that aspects of the course are physically demanding!
The course is made up of five core units and others which have been selected to give you the widest possible opportunities on completion.
Core units include:
- Government, Policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
- Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services
Specialist units could include
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- Skills for land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Skills for water-based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Crime and its effects on society
- Command and control in the Uniformed Public Services
Five GCSEs at grades A*-C, one of which would normally be English Language. If you wish to include a Level 2 BTEC or OCR National qualification as part of this entry requirement you will need to have achieved a Merit grade or higher.
Through different forms of continuous assessment, including role plays, observations, teamwork, presentations and written portfolios.
Our numerous trips and activities include Army, Navy and Police days, and visiting guest speakers. There are also great opportunities through the College’s Outdoor Adventurous Activities programme, including: orienteering, mountain biking, camping, rock climbing, scuba diving, sailing and canoeing.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Portsmouth College directly.