Accessibility links

Food Technology - GCSE at Hurstmere School

Course description

GCSE Catering is about understanding and using food. You will investigate, design and make some food products during mini project work. As part of this work you will research existing products and discover methods of developing a new product from concept to table. You will also have the opportunity to develop your practical skills by making a variety of healthy and tasty foods. Course Content The work is covered in short modules, each about 4 to 6 weeks long, and will cover aspects of theory, design and practical tasks. Around 40 to 50% of the course is developing skills and techniques through practical work. AUTUMN YEAR 10 - Healthy eating, nutrition, safe food handling. Practical work including using meat and fish as well as vegetarian foods. SPRING YEAR 10 - Menu planning, special diets, fast food, ready meals and mass production. Practical work including using low cost ingredients / convenience foods. SUMMER YEAR 10 - Industrial equipment and techniques, different job roles in the catering industry. Practical work including desserts. COURSEWORK TASK 1 - 20% - approx 10 hours work AUTUMN YEAR 11 - Review, revise and improve coursework task 1 COURSEWORK TASK 2 - 40% - approx 30 hours work. Mock examination. SPRING YEAR 11 - Completion of coursework task 2. Examination preparation, including example papers and questions, revision exercises, theory and practical skills. SUMMER YEAR 11 - Examination preparation, including example papers and questions, revision exercises, theory and practical skills sessions. FINAL EXAMINATION - 40% - 75 minutes, 1 examination paper. What about exams? Your final grade will come from the coursework tasks, completed over about 25 weeks, and a 75 minute examination at the end of the course. The GCSE coursework tasks are worth 60% of the final grade. The final examination is worth the other 40% of the final grade. 60% Coursework, 40% Exam

Further information

To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hurstmere School directly.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014
Provider logo

Key information