Business Studies A-Level at St Leonards Catholic School
The Business Studies course encourages students to develop a critical understanding of organisations, the circumstances they operate in and the markets which they serve and how they actually add value. The course takes a problem solving approach through the study of a variety of case studies where students act as consultants providing advice to the business.
- What is a business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making.
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve Human Resource performance
- Year 1 will be assessed through two examinations and can be completed as a stand-alone qualification.
- Analysing the strategic position of a business
- Choosing strategic direction
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies)
- Managing strategic change
The topics lend themselves to studying and engaging with the business world. The specification and assessment should encourage you to follow business developments and think critically about contemporary business issues. Most of the assessment material is based on real business situations. By examining and thinking critically about real business situations as you study the subject, you will gain an insight into different contexts which will help you to understand the key issues in any situation and compare and contrast this with other situations and apply your understanding.
- each applicant must achieve at least eight GCSE or equivalent Level 2 Qualification passes at grade A*-G
- each applicant must achieve at least five GCSE passes1 at grade A*-C
- each applicant must achieve at least four GCSE B grades including at least a grade B2 in each subject to be taken at AS Level (see course entry requirements listed in section 6 of this admissions policy).
- any applicant wishing to study a science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) at AS Level must achieve at least a grade B in GCSE Additional Science if taking double science rather than separate sciences. If taking separate sciences then the applicant must achieve at least a grade B in the science subject to be taken at AS Level.
- any applicant wishing to study a subject at AS that they are not currently studying at GCSE must consult the list of entry requirements listed in section 6 of this admissions policy.
- any applicant currently studying a subject at GCSE that they wish to continue to study at AS must achieve at least a grade B in that subject at GCSE.
- each applicant must study a minimum of four AS Level courses to completion in Year 12 and a minimum of three A2 Level courses to completion in Year 13.
- each applicant must study the General Religious Education Course to completion
Students who study Business at A level and beyond will have a huge range of occupations from which to choose. In the past we have had students go on to take courses in Business Management, Marketing, Human Resources, Languages, Event Management and Public Relations to name just a few. There are a wide range of degree courses that include some element of Business Studies. Taking an A level in Business Studies does not force a student down a specific career pathway but allows choice from a broad range of courses. For further advice about your suitability for this course please speak to the department.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Leonards Catholic School directly.