English Literature A level at Cannock Chase High School
English Literature is an ideal choice for those who have a real love of, and interest in, reading a variety of texts including novels, plays and poetry. The basis for the course is to encourage students to develop their understanding of, and interest in, texts by exploring: character, theme, language, structure and context.
• Shakespeare (at least one whole play);
• Love through the Ages (exploring two prose texts);
• Exploration of Modern Literature and War Literature;
• Independent Investigation- a critical study of two texts (one which must be from before 1900).
• Analysis of language, form and structure and how this applies to different texts.
• Relating texts to context and discussing the impact of this on the text.
• Applying critical terminology and theory. Focusing on how people can view one text in a number of ways.
During the course, you will be encouraged to complete independent written work that analyses the texts. You will also be given the opportunity to explore texts in groups and present your ideas to the class. The course also provides the opportunity to take part in trips outside of school. Past trips have included visits to Stratford and university lectures.
B grade or above in GCSE English or GCSE English Literature.
Teaching, law, publishing as well as a wealth of other professions.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Cannock Chase High School directly.