Applied Science Level 3 Extended Certificate at Nelson Thomlinson School
A significant part of the course is portfolio based, therefore students must be:
- willing to work independently and to respond to guidance in order to produce detailed portfolios.
- willing to learn factual information and the manipulation of mathematical formulae.
Whereas the traditional science A Levels specialise in one particular area of science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics), the Applied Science course contains content from all three science disciplines and concentrates on the applications and uses of these in the real world.
Level 3 Extended Certificate:
- Scientific principles associated with Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Experimental and practical techniques associated with applied science.
- The roles and skills of scientists, and the public and media perception of science.
- How the human body works.
- Scientific investigations.
- An additional unit looking in more depth at a Biology, Chemistry or Physics topic.
No specific entry requirements
Three portfolios (50%) and three exams (50%).
Applied Science, if taken alongside a science based GCE, will help to prepare students for a range of science related Higher Education courses. If taken as the only science subject, then it would prove to be beneficial to individuals with an interest in Nursing, Radiography or Primary Teaching.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nelson Thomlinson School directly.