Vehicle Maintenance Level 1 Diploma at Highbury College
This qualification is designed to engage and motivate 14-19 year olds or individuals who are interested in learning about the maintenance of motor vehicles and the various roles that are available in the retail motor industry.
The programme consists of 12 units including:
- Health and Safety Practices in Vehicle Maintenance;
- Tools, Equipment and Materials for vehicle Maintenance;
- Introduction to the Retail Automotive Maintenance and Repair Industry;
- Principles of Component Fitting;
- Spark Ignition Engine Systems, Components and Operation;
- Compression Ignition Engine Systems, Components and Operation;
- Engine Liquid Cooling & Lubrication Systems Components and Operation;
- Steering and Suspension Systems Components and Maintenance;
- Vehicle Braking Systems Components and Maintenance;
- Vehicle Wheels and Tyres Construction and Maintenance;
- Vehicle Driveline Maintenance;
- Vehicle Electrical Foundation Skills.
The Automotive Department has excellent workshops, classrooms and dedicated diagnostic facilities where delivery of your programme will take place.
As part of your programme you will also complete Functional Skills in English, Maths and ICT at the correct level for your programme.
You may also complete the wider key skills: Working With Others and Improving Own Learning & Performance.
- Applicants should be expected to have achieved Grade D-F in English, Maths and Science.
- However, a GNVQ Intermediate in Engineering would provide suitable prior learning.
- You will be interviewed and assessed before you are invited to join the programme.
The majority of the tasks within the assessments will be assessed via observation and oral questioning.
Many units also contain short student task sheets for students to complete independently.
Learning will take place in both a classroom and workshop environment where additional assessments will be set throughout the duration of the programme.
On successful completion of the Level 1 Certificate you could progress to a Level 2 Certificate in Vehicle Maintenance and Repair, in which you will learn about routine maintenance and non-complex fault diagnosis.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Highbury College directly.