Mathematics AS/A2 Level at The Basildon Academies Sixth Form
The course is divided into three areas:
• Core maths – covering topics from GCSE Maths such as trigonometry,
algebra, geometry and a new area, calculus
• Statistics – covering topics from GCSE Maths such as probability,
averages, data sets and new areas such as probability distributions
and discrete random variables
• Decision maths – covering areas such as networks and shortest distance problems.
• Mechanics - This is the study of the motion of objects such as cars or
trains and the effect of friction, forces and gravity.
AS level students take:
- C1 Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane; sequences and series; differentiation; integration.
- C2 Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane; sequences and series; trigonometry; exponentials and logarithms; differentiation; integration.
- S1 Mathematical models in probability and statistics; representation and summary of data; probability; correlation and regression; discrete random variables; discrete distributions; the Normal distribution.
AS level students take:
- C3 Algebra and functions; trigonometry; exponentials and logarithms; differentiation; numerical methods.
- C4 Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane; sequences and series; differentiation; integration; vectors
- M1 Mathematical models in mechanics; vectors in mechanics; kinematics of a particle moving in a straight line; dynamics of a particle moving in a straight line or plane; statics of a particle; moments.
- D1 Algorithms; algorithms on graphs; the route inspection problem; critical path analysis; linear programming; matchings.
General Sixth form inc.
Maths GCSE Grade B or above.
All units are externally assessed and count towards one third of the final grade for the year.
All exams are 1.5 hours.
A wide area of opportunity is open to students with an A-level
in Mathematics. They can apply for degrees in areas such as
Accounts, Business, Computing, Engineering, Geography, Law,
Management, any Science course, Psychology, Technology, to name
but a few. All Mathematics qualifications at this level are much
sought after and highly valued by employers and universities.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Basildon Academies Sixth Form directly.