Public Services BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate at Macclesfield College
This is a practical work-related course on which you will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. This course will introduce you to your chosen career and provides a good basis to progress onto a more advanced qualification.
During this course you will study the following nine units. Four core units will provide a general foundation and five specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
- The role and work of the Public Services
- Working skills in the Public Services
- Society, citizenship and the Public Services
- Crime and its effects on society and individuals
Specialist Units may include:
- Employment in the Public Services
- Community and cultural awareness
- Sport and recreation in the Public Services
- Communication technology and the Public Services
- Public Services preparation for emergency response
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade D or above, ideally to include English Language
- A Level 1 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 1 Diploma) with Functional Skills English at Level 1 or above
A reasonable degree of fitness would also be advantageous.
You will need to have undertaken at least one week of work experience in a related discipline setting. Evidence of this experience must be provided at enrolment in the form of a reference from the setting you attended.
Following your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
You will be assessed through assignment work and external examinations. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an
overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examinations.
There is a requirement for all public service students to purchase at least one polo shirt and there is the option to purchase a hoodie. This will be discussed at interview.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course. A financial contribution of £150.00 per year towards the cost of the visits and activities is to be paid throughout the academic year as trips as arranged. Possible visits may include The Middlewich Custody Suite, The Fire Station, Army Look at life, Army Personal Development Course, Crown Court, Kip on a Ship, The Houses of Parliament, University and UCAS events, but could be subject to change.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
- Apply to progress onto the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Public Services, ideally you will be expected to achieve a minimum of a Merit grade at L2
- Pursue a career in Public Services such as the Armed Services, Police, Fire Service, Ambulance Service, Private Security, Prison Service, Coastguard, Customs and Excise or Local Government Administration as this qualification is valued by employers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.