English Literature A level at Pembroke School/ Ysgol Penfro
AS Course Content
F661 – Poetry and Prose 1800 - 1945
· Section A – Wilfred Owen.
· Section B – Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald (closed text).
F662 – Literature Post 1900
· Section A – The History Boys, Alan Bennett. Re-creative writing based on a post 1900 text with candidate commentary.
· Section B – Atonement, Iain McEwan / Le Grand Meaulnes, Fournier. An essay exploring connections between texts informed by other readers’ interpretations.A2 Course Content
F663 – Drama and Poetry pre 1800
· Section A – Othello, Shakespeare
· Section B - The Duchess of Malfi, Webster – John Donne poetry. Comparative study.
F664 – Texts in Time
· Internal Assessment, Three texts of choice, one prose, one poetry and the any genre. 3,000 word essay exploring how texts illuminate and connect with each other.
· GCSE Grade “B” pupils will find the course very accessible and will achieve good grades. GCSE grade C pupils are allowed, but may find some areas challenging.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Pembroke School/ Ysgol Penfro directly.