Physical Education AS and A Level at Harton Technology College
Anyone who has an enthusiastic interest in sport and is a keen participant or performer will enjoy the challenges that an A level course in PE will present. It is an ideal subject to allow you to develop the skills in your specialist practical areas while at the same time making you aware of all the other factors that contribute to improving performance. The subject has a well-respected theoretical foundation and will give you many of the skills required to enhance your career aspirations.
The course is delivered by experienced staff, a blend of youth and experience who understand what is needed to maximise the potential of the student.
On completing the course you will have specialised in two practical sports and developed the skills required to improve your performance through detailed analysis of performance.
The theory component develops a range of skills involving: the study of anatomy and physiology e.g. the cardiovascular, respiratory and muscular systems and how these respond to exercise; some psychological aspects e.g. motivation and arousal; and also sociological aspects which include issues such as violence and drugs in sport, the Olympic Games and the nature of sport and culture in Britain, the USA and in Australia.
Each week you will have a practical session and three theory sessions where you will be expected to make links between how the theory complements the practical performance.
Alongside practical lessons, every opportunity is used to illustrate the theory through relating it in a practical situation. You are therefore involved in a number of ‘theory through practical’ workshops throughout the year which are both informative and enjoyable.
- To access level three courses at Harton 6th Form, students need to obtain a minimum GCSE only Average Point Score (APS) of 6 (from the best 8 GCSE results).
- Students should have at least GCSE grade 5 in both English and mathematics.
You will sit an exam at the end of each academic year made up of short style questions and 3 extended writing questions, one from each area of the syllabus. At AS these extended writing questions are worth 10 marks, whilst at A2 they are worth 20 marks.
Your practical skills will be continually assessed within lessons with a formal assessment made at the end of the module in 2 chosen activities (from different activity areas). At A2 this assessment is conducted in one of your two chosen sports.
Alongside your practical assessment you will be expected to verbally analyse performance in your chosen sport and formulate a detailed action plan to improve the performance of an individual in your sport. At A2-level, this element will include links with classroom theory.
Overall, the coursework (practical and verbal) comprises 40% of the total marks with the remaining 60% based on your performance in the examinations.
On successful completion of the A-level PE course students can progress on to a range of sports related courses such as sports science, sports studies, sports development, recreation management, physical education and physiotherapy at degree level.
You can also progress on to FE courses in sport and locally Gateshead and Newcastle College provide a good pathway which can lead to a foundation degree. It can also count towards applying to non-sport related courses but each course will have specific requirements that will need to be checked carefully.
The course is widely accepted as a method of gaining UCAS tarif points and you are able to search specific institution requirements using the UCAS website (www.ucas.com – course search). Certain courses will stipulate that you require a specific A-level course to be studied alongside A-level PE such as A-level biology for sports science or physiotherapy courses.
The following universities have a very strong reputation for sports related courses: Loughborough, Exeter, Edinburgh, Durham, Birmingham, Bath, Leeds, Glasgow, Stirling, Sheffield Hallam.
The course tutors endeavour to deliver the modules as practically as possible and use vocational scenarios so that each of the assignments is relevant to the real world.
There will be a range of trips and visits offered during the course such as to the Stadium of Light and Northumbria University.
Through the enrichment programme students will also be able to make the most of the fantastic sports facilities and take part in both recreational and competitive sport.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harton Technology College directly.