Computing A Level at Oasis Academy Brightstowe
Unit 1 Computing Principles
40% of A Level, 2hr 30mins, on screen examination
50% of AS Level, 1hr 15mins, written examination
Components of a computer and their uses.Unit 2 Algorithms & Problem Solving
40% of A Level, 2hr 30mins, written examination
50% of AS Level, 1hr 15mins, written examinationUnit 3 Computing Practical Project
20% of A-level, Internally Assessed Coursework
The aims of this qualification are to enable you to:
• develop an understanding of and ability to apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science including; abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms and data representation
• develop the ability to analyse problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems including writing programs to do so
• develop the capacity for thinking creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically
• develop the capacity to see relationships between different aspects of computer science
• develop mathematical skills
• develop the ability to articulate the individual (moral), social (ethical), legal and cultural opportunities and risks of digital technology.
GCSE Grade B in Maths. ICT / iGCSE ICT Grade C is an advantage.
A wide variety of teaching methods will be used, including teacher-led introduction activities, group collaborative work, research tasks, video tutorials and individual work on coursework tasks and projects.
Career paths include: Programming, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Forensics, Computer Game Development, Industrial Development and Medical Research and more.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Oasis Academy Brightstowe directly.