Biology at The Marlborough School
Unit 1: Cells, Exchange and Transport1 hour written examination worth 30% of total
- Module 1 - Cells:- detailed structure of cells and cell membranes- how substances are transported across cell membranes- cell division- cellular organisation into tissues and organs
- Module 2 - Exchange and Transport:- exchange and transport processes of animals, focusing on the human heart, lungs andcirculatory system-transport of gases and water through plants
Unit 2: Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health1 hour 45 minute written examination worth 50% of total
- Module 1 - Biological Molecules:- chemical structure of biological molecules such as carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, DNA- chemical structure of enzymes and how they work
- Module 2 - Food and Health:- diet and food production- how food is produced to increase quality and yield- study of diseases such as HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria- how our body fights infectious diseases
- Module 3 - Biodiversity and Evolution:- biodiversity - why it is important and how is it maintained- classification and evolution
Unit 3 Practical Skills in Biology 2 assessed practicals and associated papers, carried out under examination conditions, worth 20% oftotal.A series of assessed practicals carried out under examination conditions. These are followed by a question paper which tests understanding of the practical procedure, the ability to analyse theresults by processing data and drawing graphs, and the ability to evaluate the procedure.
GCSE Science and Additional Science (or GCSE Biology), and GCSEMathematics, at Grade B or above
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Marlborough School directly.