Environmental Systems and Societies IB at Impington Village College
The aim of this course is to provide students with a coherent perspective of the interrelationships between environmental systems and societies; one that enables them to adopt an informed personal response to the wide range of pressing environmental issues that they will inevitably come to face. Students' attention will be drawn to their own relationship with their environment and the significance of choices and decisions that they make in their own lives. It is intended that students develop a sound understanding of the interrelationships between environmental systems and societies, rather than a purely journalistic appreciation of environmental issues.
The course has many opportunities for you to learn practical and fieldwork skills, working in the varied environment of the school grounds and on field study days. In particular we have a residential field course where students study conservation issues and a variety of marine and terrestrial ecosystems. It is a Standard level only course.
Environmental systems and societies as a transdisciplinary subject
As a transdisciplinary subject, Environmental systems and societies is designed to combine the techniques and knowledge associated with group 4 (the experimental sciences) with those of group 3 (individuals and societies). By choosing to study a transdisciplinary course such as this as part of their diploma, students are able to satisfy requirements for both groups 3 and 4 of the hexagon, thus allowing them to choose another subject from any hexagon group (including another group 3 or group 4 subject).
The course is divided into 7 topics (of varying length). These are:
- Systems and models
- *The ecosystem
- * Human population, carrying capacity and resource use
- *Conservation and biodiversity
- *Pollution and management
- The issue of global warming
- Environmental value systems
Topics marked* are the ones which will occupy the majority of the teaching time.
For the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB), a student should be a general all-round student, with at least 7 6-grades or higher at GCSE or level 2 equivalent and have a 6 grade or more in the subject s/he wishes to take at IB diploma higher level or as IB single-subject certificate.
There will be two written exam papers which will account for 80% of the final mark. Internal assessment of practical skills will account for the remaining 20% of the marks and these will be assessed continuously throughout the course.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.