Biology A Level at Derby College
Learners will study a variety of topics including:
- Development of practical skills in biology
- Foundations in biology
- Exchange and transport
- Biodiversity, evolution and disease
- Communication, homeostasis and energy
- Genetics, evolution and ecosystems
- Module 1: Development of practical skills – this module underpins the whole of the course and covers the practical skills that learners should develop throughout. The practical skills in this module can be assessed within written examinations and (for A-level only) within the Practical Endorsement.
- Module 2: Foundations in biology – covering concepts required throughout the remaining modules.
- Modules 3 and 4: AS topics – exchange and transport, biodiversity, evolution and disease.
- Modules 5 and 6: A-level topics – communication, homeostasis and energy; genetics, evolution and ecosystems.
You need a minimum of grade B in both GCSE Science and Additional Science. If you have taken Triple Science, then Biology must be at grade B, with the other two sciences at grade C. A grade B in English Language is required.
You will be assessed by external examination at the end of Years 1 and Year 2.
The list of career opportunities is varied and endless, including:
- Academic and research roles
- Biological technology
- Medical and health services
- Genetic counselling
- Health education
- Pharmaceutical/medical product sales
- Marine biology.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derby College directly.