Creative Media: Games Development BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Portsmouth College
This course provides an opportunity to develop skills in the areas of design and production of consumer gaming products and to explore how the games industry operates in a competitive, media-orientated market place. Many of our students progress into related employment positions or opt for further study at university in areas such as Media and Marketing, Games Programming or Games Design.
The main elements of the course are: the Media Industry, Production Stages, Graphics Production and Programming. You will need to be ready to take on a range of different challenges and to work on new skills of relevance to the Creative Media industry.
- Pre-Production Techniques for the Creative Media Industries
- Communication Skills for Creative Media Production
The Subsidiary Diploma and Diploma courses have additional compulsory units:
- Research Techniques for the Creative Media Industries
- Understanding the Creative Media Sector
- Creative Media Production Project Management
- Working to a Brief in the Creative Media Industries
- Computer Game Platforms and Technologies
Some of the specialist/optional units available include;
- Digital Graphics
- Computer Games Engines and Technologies
- Flash for Computer Games
- 3D Environments
- Computer Games Design
- Computer Games Story Development
Five GCSEs at grades A*-C, one of which would normally be English Language. If you wish to include a Level 2 BTEC or OCR National qualification as part of this entry requirement you will need to have achieved a Merit grade or higher.
Through continuous assessment of coursework, including the development of a digital portfolio. There are no external examinations.
There will be visits to Portsmouth University and Southampton Solent University to explore progression opportunities in this field. We also welcome guest speakers from top commercial games developers.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Portsmouth College directly.