Photography - Lens and Light Based Media A Level at Warwickshire College Group
Examine the world around you and explore your creativity!
Photography has changed more in the last ten years than at any other point in its 200 year history. Taking photographs is now at our fingertips most of the time, and it is easy to make your images viewable by thousands at the push of a button. But what is it that makes a great image?
Through this course you will develop photography skills, practices and techniques. You will explore the creative process to improve your ability to interpret and convey ideas effectively using photographic imagery. Whilst creating your own images is central to this course, you will also explore the place photography has in history and in today’s society. This knowledge will help inspire you and develop your own creativity.
Students will be studying digital photography. In particular, the aims of the qualification in A Level Photography are to develop:
· Creative approaches which go beyond mere observation and recording.
· How to record in a personal way experiences, ideas, information and insights appropriate to intentions.
· Analyse and critically evaluate photographic images, demonstrating an understanding of purposes, meanings and contexts.
· Use photography to develop ideas through sustained investigations and explorations.
· Demonstrate an understanding of continuity and change in photography in different genres, styles and traditions.
· The basis of digital photography, including pixel and digital processing.
· The use of light, viewpoint, composition, focus, shutter speed and exposure in photography.
· Demonstrate an ability to go beyond the traditional flat print by using a variety of techniques and settings; these may include digital development, montage, printing onto/incorporating other materials/media/ 3D constructions, installations and work presented as visual essays, for example a book may be produced.
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
Full level 2FURTHER ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
A minimum of five grade 4 GCSEs or above including English/English Language, Maths and a Design or Photography GCSE at 4 or above.
Students who have not achieved a Design or Photography GCSE are required to provide a portfolio of photographs as evidence consisting of a selection of 8 images/ photographs, printed to at least 5" x 7".
Offers subject to a satisfactory School Report.
AS Level:Component 1- coursework 50% and Component 2 - externally set assignment 50%
A2 Level: Coursework - practical work and personal study 60% and externally set assignment 40%
Each coursework unit is internally assessed according to a given assessment matrix. The time allocated to the coursework units reflects their relative weighting in the qualification. Throughout each unit students have the opportunity for weekly reviews to ensure they are meeting the Assessment Objectives.
Externally set assignment:
A question paper will be given to you towards the end of the first and second year of the course, which will provide you with a choice of questions. This will represent the culmination of your work so far. Students will provide preparatory studies investigating their chosen exam question and then sit an exam where they will create a finished piece.
AS – 10 hour exam
A2 – 15 hour exam
On successful completion of the A2 course you would normally use the UCAS points from this to add to those from study on other A level programmes to apply for an HE course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Warwickshire College Group directly.