Trees and Timber Apprenticeship Level 2 at Warwickshire College Group
The Work Based Diploma in Trees & Timber forms the main element of the Apprenticeship framework and is a Nationally Recognised Qualification. It is a work related, competence-based qualification and reflects the skills and knowledge needed to do a job effectively and shows that the learner is competent in the area of work the qualification represents.
The course is aimed at Trees and Timber enthusiasts, ideally with some previous Trees and Timber experience.
The Apprenticeship framework consists of:
1) Work based Diploma - this is the main part of the Apprenticeship and includes Mandatory and Optional Units. You and your Employer can choose which Optional Units you study according to the pathway you choose (see below for different pathways)
2) Functional Skills - Students may be exempt if they have GCSEs in English & Maths at Grade D or above (or equivalent qualification i.e. Adult Literacy/Numeracy, Key Skills, Functional Skill etc.)
3) Competency Certificates / Technical Certificates - are required in some Apprenticeships
4) Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
5) Employer Rights and Responsibilities
6) Independent Assessment
There are three different pathways you can choose for this qualification (the Units will be chosen according to the area of the Industry you are employed in). The pathways are:
- General Woodland & Forestry Treework
- Forestry Green Wood Trades
Apprenticeships are available to all ages between 16 and 65. Currently the Government fully fund Apprenticeships between the ages of 16-18yrs. From 19+, the funding available changes and there may be a fee charged to your Employer.
We require potential Apprentices to have a minimum of GCSE Grade D in English and Maths (or equivalent qualification i.e. Adult Literacy/Numeracy; Key Skills etc.)
Potential apprentices are expected to demonstrate that they are:
- Prepared to attend off-the-job training
- Able to acquire the broad range of skills, knowledge and understanding required in the Apprenticeship
- Able to achieve the Level 2 Diploma in Work-Based Trees andTimber
- Good practical skills
- Health and Safety awareness
- Ability to work without supervision
The Units of the Diploma will be assessed by the gathering of work based evidence into a portfolio provided to you by the College. Every Apprentice has an occupationally competent Assessor who will visit the work place to assess the activities the Apprentice undertakes against the units of their Diploma.
Apprentices also need to undertake an independant assessment in the form of a multiple choice test. This test covers the underpinning knowledge elements of the units included. The test is specific to the qualification route chosen and may be taken on demand.
Successful Apprentices can be considered for the Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) in Trees and Timber or go on to other Further/Higher education courses.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Warwickshire College Group directly.