Scaffolding (Level 2) at CITB-ConstructionSkills
Scaffold is usually made of metal tubes, fittings and metal or timber platforms, or can be proprietary systems, put together by scaffolders so that other workers can reach otherwise inaccessible parts of the structure theyre working on. Safety is critical, both for those erecting the scaffold and the people working on the scaffold and those below. Scaffolders work outside in all weathers and are required to work at height.
This course is delivered through block release: for a few weeks each term CITB-ConstructionSkills will send you to Birmingham to learn at our own National Construction College, paying for all your travel, accommodation and food expenses.
Not surprisingly, you'll need a good head for heights for this role. Youll also need to be responsible as the safety of many others will depend on your work. A good understanding of maths is also beneficial and the ability to solve practical problems.
There are no specific academic requirements to train as scaffolder, although GCSE passes / Standard Grades in Maths, English and Technology will be helpful for the calculations, measurements and theory.
- Apprentice Scheme A provides on site training, with trainees spending 11 weeks over two years at a national training centre. Successful completion of this programme can lead to the NVQ Level 2 in accessing operations and rigging and a CISRS scaffolders' card.
- Providing entrants have completed both the NVQ Level 2 in accessing operations and rigging - scaffolding and CISRS Part 1 and part 2 scaffolder qualifications, they can then apply for a CISRS competency card. Many UK construction sites insist that scaffolders who erect, dismantle and alter scaffolding hold a current CISRS card.
The Advanced card is needed for more complex scaffolding. It involves completing the:
- CISRS Part 1, Part 2 and Advanced Scaffolding course at an accredited centre
- NVQ Level 3 in Access and Rigging Operations - Scaffolding
- ConstructionSkills Health and Safety test
- CSCS card required
For more info & to apply, please visit www.bconstructive.co.uk/apprenticeships
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact CITB-ConstructionSkills directly.