Business Studies AQA at Bradfield School
A-level Business Studies helps students:
- develop a critical understanding of organisations, the markets they serve and the process of adding value
- be aware that business behaviour can be studied from the perspectives of a range of stakeholders
- acquire a range of skills including decision-making and problem-solving
- be aware of the current structure of business and business practice.
Business Studies AQA
Students of this course will study business in a variety of contexts and will consider the importance of the context of business in relation to decision making. They will look at the interrelated nature of business activities and the markets within which they operate. Throughout the course, students will be required to follow business developments and think critically about contemporary business issues. The key topic areas that will be studied are:
- What is Business? – forms of business, business objectives, external environment
- Managers, leadership and decision making – management styles, stakeholders
- Decision making to improve marketing performance – Understanding markets and customers, marketing mix, segmentation
- Decision making to improve operational performance – production, quality, efficiency, supply chains
- Decision making to improve financial performance – cash flow, profit, break-even, sources of finance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance – organisational structure, recruitment, motivation
- Analysing the strategic position of a business – Ratio analysis, SWOT analysis, PEST analysis
- Choosing strategic direction – Ansoff Matrix, positioning strategies
- Strategic methods: How to pursue strategies – growth, innovation, internationalisation, technology
- Managing strategic change – causes of change, barriers to change, organisational culture, implementing strategies
Paper 1 – 2 hour written exam that covers all content. Multiple choice and short answer questions. Worth 33.3% of A-Level
Paper 2 – 2 hour written exam that covers all content. 3 large essay questions. Worth 33.3% of A-Level
Paper 3 – 2 hour written exam that covers all content. 6 questions based on case study. Worth 33.3% of A-Level
Mrs E Lees
Mr C Myhill
B in GCSE Business Studies or B in GCSE English Language or Literature
Our ambition is for the students we teach to ‘be the best they can’ and, where students want to, that they progress to the top Universities to maximise their employment and career prospects. In partnership with Russell Group Universities, we continue to work hard to realise this ambition and to ensure that, as well as excellent teaching, our students receive the correct guidance and support needed to make successful applications to Higher Education.
We are very proud of the achievements made by last year’s students. 92% of the students progressed to a University course of their choice. 91% of our students gained 3 or more A-Levels and 46% of the grades were A*-B. Students were also successful in their applications to competitive programmes such as Cambridge University, Dentistry and Medicine. We look forward to building on this success with the students who choose to join us in the future.
We offer a range of 23 different A-Level subjects, enabling students to choose subject combinations to progress to all available Higher Education courses. All of our courses are taught by subject specialists with degrees in the subjects they are teaching, and with strong track records in A-Level teaching. Students are also encouraged to integrate work experience placements with their studies in order to gain the practical and transferable skills required for many careers.
Students have the choice of choosing three or four A-Level subjects. We expect that most students will specialise to three subjects by the time they enter Y13. All students are also given the opportunity to complete the Extended Project Qualification over the two years, and we are increasingly finding that this improves the quality of student’s applications to University and employment opportunities.
Sixth Form is not solely about the study of the academic subjects. We offer students a range of enrichment opportunities, improved social facilities and privileges so that our students can enjoy life as a Sixth Form student both inside and outside of the classroom and that they can play a leading role in helping to develop the school. By providing these opportunities alongside a strong curriculum, we believe that Bradfield Sixth Form is an environment ‘where people thrive’ and where people can make the most of their talents and realise their potential.
We hope that you will consider studying your chosen subjects at A-Level at Bradfield School Sixth Form.
If you require any further information please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
Head of Sixth Form
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.