Textile Design A Level at Excelsior Academy
Courses based on these specifications should encourage students to develop:
- intellectual, imaginative, creative and intuitive capabilities
- investigative, analytical, experimental, practical, technical and expressive skills, aesthetic understanding and critical judgement
- independence of mind in developing, refining and communicating their own ideas, their own intentions and their own personal outcomes
- an interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of art, craft and design
- the experience of working with a broad range of media
Students will be introduced to a variety of experiences that explore a range of textile media, processes and techniques and be made aware of both traditional and new media.
Students will explore the use of drawing for different purposes, using a variety of methods and media on a variety of scales and explore the potential for the use of colour. Students are encouraged to use sketchbooks to support the development of their work.
Students are required to work in one or more area(s) of textile design, such as:
- fashion design
- fashion textiles
- costume design
- digital textiles
- printed and/or dyed fabric and materials
- domestic textiles and wallpaper
- interior design
- constructed textiles
- art textiles
- installed textiles.
Students undertake two units of study at both AS & A2, each unit counts for 50% of the overall grade. Unit 1 will be a chosen theme. Unit 2 will follow a theme given by the examining body.
GCSE or BTEC Art and Design at C grade/Pass level respectively.
The A-level specification is designed to be taken over two years with all assessments taken at the end of the course. Students who choose to undertake the AS qualification, can then make the decision to continue onto the full A-level qualification at the end of their one year course.
An AS or A2 qualification in fine art opens doors to a wide variety of career opportunities within the creative industries and Textile industries, including; costume design, fashion d e si g n , st o r e m a n a g e m e n t , S a l e s representative, Merchandiser, Marketing, Advertising, Design assistant, Buyer, production and Styling to name a few.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Excelsior Academy directly.