Art Textiles A Level at Varndean College
In Textiles you will explore colour, texture and imagery using traditional and unconventional materials. Our well-equipped specialist studio allows you to work with a wide range of processes in real depth. Developing themes from your own personal experiences and observations, investigating ideas and researching the work of other artists and designers, you will be taught by experienced supportive tutors who are also practising textiles artists whose work is shown nationally and internationally.
From common starting points, you progress in individual directions. In the second half of Year 2 an externally set assignment gives you the opportunity to demonstrate all your creative abilities. Examples of project titles include ‘Lost & Found’, ‘Deep Rooted’ and ‘Faded Glories’.
- Specialist textile techniques
- Drawing, collecting and recording from observation
- Printing on paper. Weave and felting
- Heat transfer printing on fabric/lino printing
- Hand and machine stitch
- Interiors, body adornment, jewellery making and plastics
- In depth artist and designer research
- Fashion/costume design
Standard advanced course requirements plus:
- Grade 5 or B or above in GCSE Art or Textiles
- Merit or Distrinction in BTEC Level 2 First Certificate in Art & Design
- If GCSE Art or Technology have not been taken, suitably qualified students with a good portfolio of work will be considered.
60% coursework, 40% externally set assignment
Significant numbers of students continue their studies through foundation courses and specialist degrees. Recent students have studied costume design, fashion, knit, weave, printed textiles, and fashion illustration. Some are engaged in degree courses outside the art area, for example in History, Politics, Economics and English.
Regular visits are made to galleries and museums in London, as well as trips to Barcelona, Venice, Florence, or Paris. Students have access to the Art Enrichment programme of visits and talks from practising artists.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Varndean College directly.