Drama & Theatre A Level at The Blue School
What does this course involve?
- Studying plays through practical workshops which will provide you with an insight into the social, cultural, political and historical intentions of the playwright.
- Watching and reviewing live theatre that provides thought-provoking responses from an audience.
- Studying the practitioners who changed the face of theatre as we know it, experimenting practically with their key concepts.
- Learning to be directed as a working actor as well as to interpret texts in a creative and informed way.
The course is a practical one primarily, although you will need to show your understanding of key notions through your written coursework and through the examinations. We will endeavour to take a tour of the practitioners and playwrights who made an irreversible impact on theatre, working practically to understand the full force of their ideas. Your practical work will be further enhanced by immersion in live theatre which will demonstrate the theories studied in class. You will take on the role of actor and director and discuss the needs of both in written analysis.
5 GCSE’S at A*-C including grades for English and mathematics as below:
- English Language – New grade 4 or above
- Mathematics – New grade 4 or above
- Unit 1: Devising, 40%
- Unit 2: Text in Performance, 20%
- Unit 3: Theatre Makers in Practice, 40%
The skills that you will gain from taking Drama and Theatre Studies will enhance your ability to work creatively within stressful circumstances and your ability to work independently and be self-disciplined whilst also being a keen team worker. Drama and Theatre enhance your analytical skills and your reflective abilities. It demands that you always strive to be better, more creative, more inspiring and confident in your performing skills.
Progression routes include:
· Degree courses in Drama and Theatre at University
· Professional acting training at drama schools
· Desired by University courses such as Law and Teaching
· Theatre Design and technical courses at a variety of HE institutions
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Blue School directly.