Music AS Level at Gateacre School
The A-Level music course may be seen as a continuation of the G.C.S.E. music course. In essence it, like the G.C.S.E. course, consists of the three main areas of listening, performing and composing.
Unit 1: Influences On Music
- Section A: Structured Listening
- General listening skills (not historical knowledge).
- Section B: Historical Study
- 1 Set Work: Beethoven Symphony no. 1 movements 1 and 2 (essay question).
- Section C: Historical Study
- The History of the Musical 1940-1980
Unit 2: Creating Musical Ideas - Choose one option from 3.
- Compositional Techniques:
- Harmony / Texture
- Free Composition/Pastiche
- Vocal / Small Ensemble / Electronic / Keyboard
Unit 3: Interpreting Musical Ideas - Choose two from the following:
- a solo performance on an instrument
- a solo performance on voice
- a solo performance on a second instrument
- an ensemble performance
- a technology-based performance 1 – Sequencing
- a technology-based performance 2 –multi-tracked/close microphone recording.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gateacre School directly.