Business Studies A Level at Southam College
The six AS units are:
- Why businesses exist, business objectives and different business forms.
- Managers, leadership and decision making – what management do, leadership styles, management decision making and stakeholders.
- Performance – marketing objectives, primary and secondary research, segmentation, target markets, the marketing mix.
- Decision making to improve operational performance – operational objectives, analysing operational perfor mance, improving quality, increasing efficiency and labour productivity
- Decision making to improve financial performance – financial objectives, budgeting, breakeven, cash flow, profitability, sources of finance.
- Decision making to improve human resource p erformance – training, ethical and environmental influences, market conditions, improving motivation.
The four other units which students study for the whole A level are:
- Analysing the strategic position of a business – SWOT analysis, strategy and tactics, internal and external influences on corporate objectives, assessing short term and long term performance, political and legal issues.
- Choosing strategic direction – Ansoff matrix, strategic positioning, and difficulties of maintaining competitive advantag e.
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies – how to manage and overcome problems of growth or retrenchment, assessing methods of growth, assessing innovation, assessing use of digital technology.
- Managing strategic change – managing organisational cult ure, pressures of change, barriers to change, managing strategic implementation, why strategies fail.
Students who study Applied Business will:
gain a broad understanding of business and be able to study selected areas in more depth
develop skills, knowledge and understanding in business
have an opportunity to apply learning in a practical and realistic way
follow a programme of study that enables progression to both higher education and employment within business
If Business has been s tudied at GCSE, a minimum of a B grade or above. It is not necessary for Business to have been studied at GCSE level for it to be taken at A Level. Stu dents need at least 5 GCSEs at 4 or above including Maths and English at grade 6 or above.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Southam College directly.