Accessibility links

Fine Art A Level at Poole High School

Course description

By studying A-level Art at Poole High School you will be able to extend your skills in traditional 2 and 3 dimensional art and craft as well as learning how to use digital techniques to create imagery.  You will learn about the history of art as well as gaining a greater understanding of the work of contemporary artists and craftspeople. On this course will learn how to develop and explore your ideas through observations of the world around you, experiment with a range of techniques and materials and respond to the work of others.  A level Art will deepen your appreciation of the visual world and your ability to respond to it in a creative way.  

Course content

Unit 1: Portfolio of Work. This will include a range of personal work that has been carried out in response to a given theme. It will include first hand observations (drawings and photographs), material experiments and responses to the work of other artists. It will also include final outcomes which are the culmination of the skills, knowledge and understanding gained on the course. 

 

Unit 2: Externally Set Assignment. This is a unit that is based around a choice of topics that have been set by the exam board. After a period of preparation time, the students are given 10 hours supervised time to produce personal creative outcome to their chosen starting point. 

 

Unit 3: Personal Investigation. This unit is an opportunity for the student to carry out their own research into an area of art that is of interest to them leading to a personal response

 

Unit 4: Externally Set Assignment. AS unit 2 - this time including a 15 hour exam. 

 

Which students do well at A-Level Art?

 

•       …those who love art and are committed to the subject

•       …those who are visually curious and can think creatively

•       …those who can work independently and enjoy solving problems  

•       …those who enjoy learning about their own culture and those of others

Entry requirements

  • GCSE Art – Grade C 

Assessment

  • Unit 1 makes up 60% of the overall AS grade with Unit 2 completing the remaining 40%.
  • At A2, Unit 3 is worth 60% of the entire A2 grade and with unit 4 making up the remaining 40% 

Financial information

Text books, tuition and course materials are provided free, however contributions are requested from parents for trips and visits that may support learning in school. Some students will be eligible for the 16-19 Bursary Fund, which is a government-provided fund for sixth form students facing financial hardship. It can help towards costs for travel, equipment (for example in PE or Food Technology), trips and books.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Poole High School directly.

Last updated date: 09 September 2016
Provider logo

Key information

Venues