A Level Further Mathematics at Spalding Grammar School
Students who are especially keen on Mathematics will really enjoy taking a second A-level in Further Mathematics. It is a challenging qualification, which both extends and deepens students’ knowledge and understanding beyond the standard A-level Mathematics. Those opting for Further Mathematics are taught entirely separately from those opting for A-level Mathematics only and lessons are spread across two of the timetable blocks.
There are many good reasons to take Further Mathematics:
- Students taking Further Mathematics overwhelmingly find it to be an enjoyable, rewarding, stimulating and empowering experience.
- For someone who enjoys Mathematics, it provides a challenge and a chance to explore new and/or more sophisticated mathematical concepts.
- It enables students to distinguish themselves as able mathematicians in the university and employment market.
- It makes the transition to a mathematics-rich university course easier.
- It boosts students’ performance in AS/A-level Mathematics.
An A* in GCSE Maths is recommended for this course
Any student planning to take a mathematics-rich degree (this covers a very wide range of academic areas - Engineering, Sciences, Computing, Finance/Economics, etc., as well as Mathematics itself) will benefit enormously from taking Further Mathematics, at least to AS level. Students who have studied Further Mathematics find the transition to such degrees far more straightforward.
Further Mathematics qualifications are highly regarded and are strongly welcomed by universities. Students who take Further Mathematics are really demonstrating a strong commitment to their studies, as well as learning mathematics that is very useful for any maths-rich degree.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Spalding Grammar School directly.