English Language AS/A Level at Bemrose School
The AS and A2 Level English Language courses will guide you in your exploration and understanding of reasons why language is used differently in different social contexts, how you vary your language and how its use can affect you.
The courses will equip you with skills which will benefit you whether you go on to enter employment or pursue the study of English at Degree level. You will be introduced to concepts and frameworks which will enable you to study language and to analyse its impact in terms of a variety of contextual factors.
The nature of the course suits students with an ability to work independently and those with an interest in how language is used in everyday situations and texts.
AS Course Content
- Exploring different text varieties and analysing language use. You will demonstrate in the exam how to group everyday texts in a variety of ways using your linguistic knowledge.
- Studying how language is used (in spoken and written texts) in different social contexts, focussing on the representation of gender, how power is enforced through language and how developments in technology are affecting language use.
- The coursework consists of creating two texts for different audiences and purposes, demonstrating your linguistic and contextual awareness.
A2 Course Content
- Using the skills and knowledge from your AS studies as well as concepts and theories in the field of language acquisition, you will explore how children acquire language in order to communicate.
- You will also analyse and evaluate the developments and changes in language over time by exploring a variety of texts and relating linguistic trends and changes to socio-historical factors.
The coursework consists of a language investigation in your chosen focus area, accompanied by a media text based on your findings.
AS - assessed by two terminal exams
Paper 1 (1hr30 mins) - Language & the Individual
Paper 2 (1hr30mins) - Language Varieties
Coursework 2000 words - Language Investigation
Coursework 15 words - Original text with commentary
Paper 1 (2hrs30mins) - Language, the Individual and Society
Paper 2 (2hrs30mins) - Langugage, Diversity and Change
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bemrose School directly.