Geography A Level at Forest Hill School - Sydenham and Forest Hill Sixth Form
If you are inspired by language and culture, have enjoyed and excelled in your language studies so far and want to get ahead in an international world, then an A-Level Language is a smart choice!
Students who choose A-Level Languages develop the knowledge and skills acquired at GCSE, gain a useful insight into another culture and reflect on various aspects of contemporary society. They also enhance their employment prospects, facilitate foreign travel and experience the enjoyment and motivation of improving their linguistic level. A qualification in a Language also looks impressive on university and career applications.
- Aspects of society: The changing state of the family. The digital world .Youth culture: fashion and trends, music, television
- Artistic culture: Festivals and traditions. Art and architecture. Cultural life in Berlin, past and present
- Literary texts and films Either one text or one film from a set list
Year 13 builds on the topics studied in Year 12:
- Multiculturalism: Immigration, Integration, Racism
- Aspects of political life. Germany and the European Union. Politics and youth. German reunification and its consequences
- Literary texts and films Either one text and one film or two texts from a set list
- Individual research project
Grade B or higher at GCSE (including a B or above in the Higher Reading and Listening papers) and a keen interest in developing your linguistic skills.
Minimum point score of 38 including Maths and English at grade 4 at GCSE. This is equivalent to 4B and 4C grades overall at GCSE. Students will also need to achieve the subject specific criteria below:
NEW GCSE POINT SCORE GCSE grade 2017 Points:
- G 1.00
- F 1.50
- E 2.00
- D 3.00
- C 4.00
- B 5.50
- A 7.00
- A* 8.50
Three exams at end of both courses. Listening, reading and translation. Writing. Speaking
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Forest Hill School - Sydenham and Forest Hill Sixth Form directly.