Mathematics A Level at Ysgol Y Strade
This course builds upon the skills, knowledge and understanding required at Higher Tier GCSE Mathematics. All the courses assume a sound basis of algebraic manipulation that were met on the Higher Tier.
In year 12 the majority of students will study three units for the AS certificate - C1 and C2 (Core/Pure) with one unit from either M1 (Mechanics) or S1 (Statistics).
The A Level course in Year 13 consists of a further 2 units of Core Pure Maths C3, C4 and one unit of either S2 or M2.
C1: Algebraic skills, coordinate geometry and differentiation.
C2: Series, logarithms, more geometry, trigonometry and integration.
M1: Application to motion, forces, momentum, moments.
S1: Probability, discrete distributions, introduction to continuous distributions.
C3: Functions, iterative methods and buidling on skills introduced in C1/C2.
C4: Partial fractions, vectors and buidling on skills introduced in C1/C2/C3
M2: Build on skills implicit in M1
S2: Build on skills implicit in S1
Although each student will be considered on an individual basis for entry onto the course it would be beneficial to have a grade B at GCSE on the higher tier paper.
C1: Examination 1 hour 30 minutes
C2: Examination 1 hour 30 minutes
M1: Examination 1 hour 30 minutes
S1: Examination 1 hour 30 minutes
C3: Examination 1 hour 30 minutes
C4: Examination 1 hour 30 minutes
M2: Examination 1 hour 30 minutes
S2: Examination 1 hour 30 minutes
- It’s an enjoyable subject with a great feeling of satisfaction when you solve a problem.
- Experienced teachers with a track record of excellent results.
- An academic subject that develops and refines the academic skills of (analysis, problem solving and interpretation).
- Universities welcome a qualification in Mathematics and there is a demand for graduates.
- It opens doors to a variety of careers such as Science, Engineering, Accountancy, Business, Economics, Computing to name but a few.
Examining Body: Edexcel
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Y Strade directly.