Child Development BTEC at Dereham Neatherd High School
Children’s Play, Learning and Development (Early Years Educator) is a vocational course which prepares students for working in an early years setting. It is studied at Level 3, which is the equivalent of 3 A levels. Two days a week are spent in placements working with children of different ages and three days a week in college.
We follow the EDEXEL specification which involves study of
- Child Development
- Play in Early Years
- Meeting Children’s Physical Development, Physical Care and Health Needs
- Health and Safety in Early Years’ Settings
- Supporting Children’s Communication and Language
- Supporting Children’s Social and Emotional Development
- Child Protection
- Observation, Assessment and Planning for Play and Development.
- Supporting Maths and Literacy in the Early Years
- Reflecting on Own Early Years Practice
- Research Skills
- Health, Education and Social Services for Children and Their Families
- Food and Mealtimes in the Early Years
- In addition to this students will study optional units which are likely to be
- Working with Children with Additional Needs
- Implementing the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Supporting Children’s Imaginative Play
- Cooking Activities with Young Children
- Career Development in Early Year
To become an Early Years Educator the government require you to have an A*-C in English Language GCSE and A*-C in Maths GCSE in addition to your Level 3 qualification.
- One external exam on Child Development.
- Assignments eg. essays, reports, presentations completed throughout the course.
- The Level 3 Diploma can be awarded at Pass, Merit or Distinction.
- Pass is equivalent to 3 A level passes at Grade E
- Merit is equivalent to 3 A level passes at Grade C
- Distinction is equivalent to 3 A level passes at Grade A
Students must have a definite interest in working with children up to the age of eight. They can progress from this course to direct employment, further training, apprenticeships or Higher Education.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dereham Neatherd High School directly.