Plumbing and Heating/Domestic Heating Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3 at City College Plymouth
How often have you heard someone ask if anyone knows a good plumber? The Construction industry is booming, not to mention the maintenance and repairs required on houses already built. Once qualified, being a plumber can be a job for life, and the rewards are there if you're willing to work hard. You can work for a company on a regular wage, do contract work on large projects, or even set up on your own and be your own boss! On the Advanced Apprenticeship, your skill base will broaden and you'll be able to enter the profession at a higher level. For example, you'll be qualified to complete and oversee work to install, service, maintain and commission a range of domestic plumbing and heating systems. All this, and you can earn while you learn!
As an Apprentice you will gain valuable experience and occupational competence within your workplace setting. You will be employed and, under supervision carrying out different types of Plumbing work.
You will study the follow subjects on this Apprenticeship:
• tightness test, purge, commission and de-commission gas pipework up to 35mm 1¼ diameter in small natural gas installations
• understand how to organise resources within BSE
• apply domestic cold water system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
• apply domestic hot water system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
• apply domestic central heating system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
• carry out electrical work on domestic plumbing and heating systems and components
• install, commission and de-commission gas pipework up to 35mm 1¼ diameter in domestic and small commercial premises
• specific core installation and maintenance
• understand core gas safety principles for natural gas within domestic building services engineering
• maintain gas water heating and wet central heating appliances
• install domestic gas water heaters and wet central heating appliances
• apply domestic sanitation system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
• install, commission, service and maintain domestic plumbing and heating systems.
Functional Skills level 2 maths and English and level 1 ICT. You will also learn Employee Rights and Responsibilities, as well as Creative Thinking, Independent Enquiry, Reflective Learning, Team Working, Self Managment and Effective Participation.
You will undertake various assessments so we can ascertain at which levels you are currently working. You should already have a level 2 qualification in Plumbing and Heating or Domestic Heating. Ideally, you will have good practical working skills, good written and verbal communication skills, willing to work in all weather and be presentable with a pleseant manner.
Assessment is carried out on and off the job and day release at Kings Road, through multiple choice exams, written papers and practical assessments.
On successful completion of this Apprenticeship, you could progress ont a number of Foundation Degrees at City College. Successful completion will greatly enhance employment opportunities, as well as give you the skills required to work independently.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.