History Edexcel AS Level at Littleover Community School
- Students should have a genuine interest in the past.
- Students should have the ability to analyse and a willingness to criticise and question information.
- Students must be able to work independently.
- Students should also have good literacy skills.
Paper 1: The Crusades, c1095-1204 (Breadth Study)
- Students explore the lives of medieval crusaders who chose to give up everything they knew to capture and control the Holy Land. They go on to look at the controversy surrounding the Fourth Crusade's diversion to Constantinople.
Paper 2: England and the Angevin Empire in the reign of Henry II, 1154-89 (Depth Study)
- Students examine the reign of Henry II and his struggle to regain control of England and his Empire after a bitter civil war.
Littleover Community School Sixth Form specialises in AS and A2 Level Courses - we do not offer any alternative/vocational courses. Regardless of which 'wave' of the ongoing A Level reforms each subject is in, we will expect all students to sit AS examinations at the end of Year 12 and A2 examinations at the end of Year 13.
We therefore expect all students to enrol to study 4 AS Levels in Year 12. Most students will then drop one subject at the end of Year 12 having completed the AS Level qualification, continuing with the other 3 to A2 level.
The minimum entry criteria for Littleover Community School Sixth Form is 5 A*-C/9-5 grades at GCSE including Maths and English Language. Students who achieve a grade 4 in Maths or English Language will be considered on an individual basis. However, the vast majority of our students will achieve 8 or more A*-C/9-5 grades with A*-8/9-6 in the subjects they wish to study at A Level. If students plan to study subjects that they have not studied at GCSE level we will expect A*-B/9-6 in subjects that have a similar skills set.
Specific entry requirements:
GCSE graded A* - B in History.
Unit 1: Crusades
- Written examination
- 2 hours 15 minutes
Unit 2: Angevin Empire
- Written examination
- 1 hour 30 minutes
(Marks achieved do not contribute to the A Level qualification)
History is a good Prospects: subject for many degree courses across a wide range of subjects including Law: Business Studies; Economics; Social Sciences; and Educational Studies.
A History degree is a good preparation for a wide range of occupations such as:-
- Public Service
- Management Consultancy
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Littleover Community School directly.