Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 1 Certificate - January start at Calderdale College
Can you think of a better job than this...? As you are working, you are cruising in the Caribbean or working on set of the latest Blockbusting movie… You could be your own boss at 20… All this is possible if you train to work in any of the hair and beauty sectors and qualify from Level 1 to Level 3. Level 1 Beauty Therapy can be the first step to achieving this.
There are a choice of 2 routes within this qualification, the hairdressing route and the beauty therapy route. Depending on which route you choose this will determine the units that you undertake. This qualification will give you the necessary skills and confidence in the area that you choose. The course is exciting and creative and will give you a real taste of the industry. You will have the opportunity to engage in community work and work related activities during your course, and will have the opportunity to work on the reception and in the dispensary. You will complete Functional Skills. The areas you study will include:
- Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector – Career opportunities and services within the industry
- Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon – how to present yourself, communicate and behave in aprofessional environment
- Salon Reception Duties – Receiving clients, checking appointments, seating clients, taking care of clients’ belongings, giving services at reception – beverages, magazines, promoting the sale of products, services and treatments
- Provide Basic Manicure & Pedicure Treatments – File, soften cuticles, provide superficial foot and lower leg massage and superficial hand and arm massage and usevarnish
- Nail Art Application – carry out a basic nail art technique adapting the 2D nail art.
- Themed Face Painting – 2D themed face painting including party and glitter work
- Basic Make-up Application – day make-up, preparing the skin and applying day make-up
- Skin Care – prepare the skin using cleansers, toners andmoisturisers
Learn through innovative methods including demonstrations, video podcasting and Moodle. You will be inspired by attending trade fairs and watching people from industry showing you their skills and what you can achieve. You will be set SMART targets for each term on the units you are working towards. These will be reviewed and your progress monitored. Home study such as revision, research and completion of assignments will be expected.
You will be invited to an an interview with the specialist tutor where you will need to demonstrate creative flair and good communication skills. All applicants will be required to attend a Pre-Induction Day where dexterity and literacy and numeracy will be assessed.
The course is based on development and assessment of practical skills, underpinning knowledge which is assignment work and on line tests. Completion of assessments builds a portfolio of evidence.
In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
This qualification will give you a real taste of the industry, providing you with the basic skills and encouragement to continue into either the hairdressing or beauty therapy industry. The following qualifications are available to progress on to - VRQ Level Beauty Therapy or Hairdressing, NVQ Level Beauty Therapy Apprenticeship or Hairdressing.
Please complete an application form and return it to us at the following freepost address:-
Calderdale College Central Admissions Unit, FREEPOST HX2 004, Francis Street, Halifax, HX1 3BR
or click on the link to apply online: http://www.calderdale.ac.uk/courses/view/nvq-level-1-beauty-therapy
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Calderdale College directly.