BTEC Health and Social Care at Garth Hill College
If you are in any way interested in the world of health and social care ranging from working in a nursery to job in the medical industry, then this could be the course for you.
We consider everything from ways that people communicate and problems associated with disabilities in communication to how we develop at each life stage.
Students will study for a BTEC qualification in Health and Social Care with the examination board Edexcel. Students attend nine periods of Health and Social Care a fortnight. Lessons draw upon a variety of resources including discussions, practical observations, use of IT, and problem solving exercises. The course also includes a practical “work based Unit”. This will either be carried out internally supporting the SEN department, or can be as a work experience placement.
- Developing Effective Communication in Health and Social Care.
- Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health and Social Care.
- Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care.
Once completed 3 optional units will be completed from:
- Development Through the Life Stages Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care
- Sociological Perspectives for Health and Social Care
- Psychological Perspectives for Health and Social Care
- Values and Planning in Social Care
- Caring for Children and Young People
- Safeguarding Adults and Promoting Independence
- Public Health
- Physiological Disorders
- Working in the Social Care Sector
- Working in the Health Sector
- Promoting Health Education
- Nutrition for Health and Social Care
- Complementary Therapies for Health and Social Care
- Human Inheritance for Health and Social Care
- Environmental Health
- Technology in Health and Social Care Services.
Assessment by course work:
A portfolio of evidence for each unit is to be submitted As with all level 3 BTEC courses the grades are awarded at Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction*
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Garth Hill College directly.