Dental Nursing CG Diploma Level 3 at Cornwall College
The Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing focuses on direct chair side work and support during a range of dental treatments: the student would need to have some considerable knowledge and skills in relation to dental equipment, instruments and materials and be able to work as a key member of the oral healthcare team. The course has been built on a number of principles: encourage access by those groups of staff for whom they are designed; promote good quality practice and high quality services; help the sector respond to changing requirements; encourage transfer and progression; be consistent with future legislation for statutory registration.
This course is suitable for 16 plus who have an employed position in Dental Nursing. It consists of 15 units, plus an online mandatory examination that assesses underpinning knowledge.
The units studied are all mandatory.
This course is offered as a Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing (City and Guilds)
You will study the following units
- Emergency First Aid Skills
- Ensure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
- Prepare and maintain environment, instruments, and equipment for clinical dental procedures
- Offer information and support to individuals on the protection of their oral health
- Provide chairside support during the assessment of patients' oral health
- Contribute to the production of dental images
- Provide chairside support during the prevention and control of periodontal disease and caries and the restoration of cavities
- Provide chairside support during the provision of fixed and removable prostheses
- Provide chairside support during non-surgical endodontic treatment
- Provide chairside support during the extraction of teeth and minor oral surgery
- Principles of infection control in the dental environment
- Assessment of oral health and treatment planning
- Dental radiography
- Scientific principles in the management of oral health diseases and dental
Classes are provided in College. Assessment is via a portfolio of evidence, observations in the workplace and an online examination.
You need to be working in a dental practice.
Initial assessments and an interview will be required.
On completion of the course you will become a qualified dental nurse to be registered with the GDC.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Cornwall College directly.