A Level Philosophy and Ethics at The John of Gaunt School
You will cover topics such as philosophical arguments about God’s existence, ethical concepts and dilemmas, modern philosophy of religion, modern moral philosophy, ethical theories that assess human behaviour, sexual ethics and the psychology behind the decisions we make as people.
- Philosophical arguments about God’s existence
- Problems in the philosophy of religion – suffering and God, miracles – do they happen?
- Ethical concepts (morality)
- Ethical dilemmas (war/sexuality)
- Ethical theories (situation ethics, utilitarianism)
- Medical ethics, e.g. euthanasia, abortion, fertility treatments, to name just a few
- Religious experience
- Ontological theory
- Psychology/Sociology of religion
- Ethical and religious language
- Life after death
- Non existence of God critiques
- Natural/moral law, virtue ethics
- Objectivism, relativism
- Religious language, experience
- Modern philosophy of religion
- Method and moral theory
- Personal relationships
- Modern moral philosophy
You will need 5 A*-C GCSEs.
AS Level – EDEXCEL 8560 A Level – EDEXCEL 9560
Two examinations – 1 hr 45 minutes
a) On Philosophy and ethics and
b) On Medical ethics.
There are a variety of careers that this A Level can help with, including Medicine, Social Work, Law, diplomacy, religious vocations and any job involving high levels of human communication, especially with a multi-cultural focus, or if working with people.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The John of Gaunt School directly.