Dental Nurse Level 3 Apprenticeship at Alder Training
The Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing is aimed at dental nurses working in the oral healthcare setting and is a recognised qualification for registration with the General Dental Council which is a necessity for all dental nurses. The apprenticeship focuses on the overall role and responsibilities of a dental nurse as well as the skills, knowledge and understanding needed to provide effective support to the rest of the dental team and patients. The worker would need to have considerable knowledge and skills in relation to dental equipment, instruments and materials and be able to work as a key member of the oral healthcare team.
There are no optional units for this award. It comprises of only mandatory units and examinations.
To achieve the Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing, learners must achieve 48 credits from the 15 mandatory units and in addition to this must pass 4 online examinations. Each exam will be comprised of 25 multiple choice questions based on the underpinning knowledge in units 305, 313, 314 and 315.
Knowledge will be provided to learners on a one to one basis by their designated assessor to help complete assignments/ written work and prepare for exams, learners will also be expected to carry out research and revision in their own time to ensure a high standard of work and the capability to sit and pass each exam.
The evidence based units include:
- 268 First aid essentials
- 301 Reducing risks to health and safety in the dental setting
- 302 The roles and responsibilities of a dental nurse
- 304 Prepare and maintain environments, instruments and equipment for clinical dental procedures
- 306 Provide chairside support for the assessment of patients oral health
- 307 Contribute to the production of dental images
- 308 Provide chairside support for the prevention and control of periodontal disease and caries and the restoration of caries
- 309 Provide chairside support for the provision of fixed and removable prosthesis
- 310 Provide chairside support for non-surgical endodontic treatment
- 311 Provide chairside support for the extraction of teeth and minor oral surgery
And the exam units consist of:
- 305 Principles of infection control in the dental environment
- 313 Assessment of oral health and treatment planning
- 314 Dental radiography
- 315 Management of oral health diseases and dental procedures
The Advanced Apprenticeship also includes:
PLTS Level 3 qualifications - this is a 5 unit qualification which comprises of employment law, research and problem solving, team leading and participation, preparing for an advanced apprenticeship and managing own learning. Learners will carry out research and complete a variety of tasks, written evidence etc to show knowledge and understanding of these units.
It may also include Functional skills in Maths level 2 for which learners will sit an online exam. Functional skills English level 2 which includes online reading and writing exams as well as planned discussions for the speaking and listening section. Previous qualifications may exempt learners from needing to complete these units.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Alder Training directly.