Plumbing Studies Level 2 Diploma at Isle of Wight College
This course is for those wishing to follow a career in areas such as Plumbing, Heating and Gas Installation.
The course is made up of 10 mandatory units:
- Cold Water Service
- Hot Water Service
- Basic Domestic Hot Water Heating Systems
- Plumbing Principles and processes
- General Site Safety Awareness
- Basic Domestic Plumbing practice
- General plumbing maintenance
- Electrical Principles
The qualification is accessible to everyone. You will need a positive attitude and a willingness to work hard. This should be reflected in achievement of 4 GCSEs Grade C or above to include Mathematics and English, or Science; satisfactory interview, and completion of a level 1 plumbing course or suitable equivalent. Since the level 2 course is very intensive you will also be required to demonstrate an ability to study independently, completing a plumbing industry standard entrance test. Support in completing this will be available.
Attendance is a minimum of two and a half days per week, though timetables and attendance patterns may vary. To gain the awards candidates must be successful in all the occupational units including key skills. Generally there is a requirement for completion of practical exercises and knowledge assessments for each unit. It will be your responsibility to update your record book which will show evidence of your experience and achievements. The course is structured and delivered by continuous assessment of practical work which is internally assessed plus theory multi-choice on line exam which is assessed by City and Guilds.
- Apply problem solving techniques in the areas of competence covered
- Understanding the principles of construction
- Develop practical skills as required by the industry
- Basic installation of hot and cold water services
- The workings of basic domestic central heating systems
- Basic above and below ground drainage
- NVQ 2 Plumbing, if there is adequate work based evidence to support assessment
Note: Entry to Level 3 is by the satisfactory completion of Level 2 together with the NVQ 2 Plumbing, with a reasonable report from your Tutor, along with a good attendance record and employment in the plumbing industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Isle of Wight College directly.