Painting & Decorating Level 1 Diploma at Somerset College
The Diploma will teach you and allow you to develop the underpinning knowledge and practical skills to become a painter and decorator. A large proportion of the course will be spent in the College’s industry standard workshops, preparing surfaces, hanging papers and undertaking a range of decorative techniques.
The course units you will study are:
- Principles of building construction
- Applying foundation and plain paper
- Erecting and dismantling working platforms
- Preparing surfaces for decoration
- Applying paint systems by brush or roller
- Producing specialist decorative finishes
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
Acceptance on the course is via an interview. A positive attitude and an interest in the course are vital. An initial assessment will be taken upon enrolment.
Your painting and decorating skills will be assessed in a range of ways including:
- Observation of your practical work
- End of unit practical tests (marked against industry standards)
- Production of a portfolio of your knowledge and practical work
- Online multiple-choice end of unit knowledge tests
- Practical and knowledge workbooks
You can progress on to a Level 2 and 3 Diploma in Painting & Decorating. On completion of the
Level 1 you could also start to look for employment as an Apprentice.
The College offers construction courses from Levels 1 to 7. This could be the start of your progression in the construction industry
This course gives you the basic skills to become a painter and decorator. Career opportunities could include working as a painter and decorator, progressing on to a team leader and undertaking a range of work including new builds, or heritage and restoration work.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somerset College directly.