AS/A2 Music at St John's Catholic School & Sixth Form College - A Catholic Academy
Is this course for me?
The AS and A Level music specification aims to broaden experience, develop imagination, foster creativity and to promote personal and social development. In particular, it encourages students to:
- Extend the skills, knowledge and understanding they need to communicate through music and to take part in music-making
- Engage and extend their appreciation of the diverse and dynamic heritage of music
- Develop their musical skills through the related activities of performing, composing and appraising
- Develop particular strengths and interests, thereby encouraging lifelong learning and providing access to music-related and other careers
This course is made up of the following six modules:
3 at AS Level
- Unit 1 - Influences on Music
- Unit 2 - Music Composition
- Unit 3 - Performing: Interpreting Musical Ideas
3 at A2 Level
- Unit 4 - Music in Context
- Unit 5 - Composing
- Unit 6 - Performing: A Musical Performance
Access to AS - level study has broadened to include not only students with a ‘classical’ training, but also to encourage those from rock and traditional music backgrounds. Students should have attained a Grade B or above in GCSE Music or equivalent. Students should be or become proficient at reading music notation and be prepared to have regular vocal or instrumental lessons. Above all, students should display commitment and willingness to learn.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St John's Catholic School & Sixth Form College - A Catholic Academy directly.