English Literature AS/A Level at Richard Taunton Sixth Form College
The course introduces you to a wide range of authors and teaches you skills of analysis and argument, which will help you to enjoy literature and to adapt these skills in other areas of life.
You will be expected to respond to texts based on personal interpretations informed by a reading. The course will cover Shakespeare, modern novels, poetry and drama.
Students are required to read texts in advance of class discussions and keep detailed notes following each lesson. You will be expected to keep a reading journal, to practice your responses before submitting formal essays.
A passion for reading and the motivation to extend yourself beyond what is covered in the classroom are the essential ingredients for success.
- At least five GCSEs at grade C or above (including English Language)
- A real interest in reading, discussing and writing about a range of books
- You will also need to be able to work independently
- You need to demonstrate that you can read with understanding
- You need to be able to express yourself in clear, accurate standard English
- You need to be able to develop skills of interpretation and analysis
- Link what you read to real life context both of reception and production
Studying English at A Level can lead to university courses in many subjects, including English Literature, English Language, Creative Writing, Journalism and Linguistics.
You need to be able to work to deadlines and to enjoy researching and writing about texts. It is recommended that you provide your own copies of some books for this course. Read widely in preparation for the course and try to read books from different eras and origins in order to give you a good foundation upon which to build your knowledge.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Richard Taunton Sixth Form College directly.